Reitz yearbook, newspaper honored | Schools
Reitz High School’s journalism department has reason to celebrate this week. The department, which publishes the school’s newspaper and yearbook, took home nine awards, including two first place awards, at the Indiana High School Press Association (IHSPA) Harvey Awards for scholastic press organizations.
The school’s newspaper, The Mirror, brought home a total of seven awards for 2012 publications. The 2012 Reflections Yearbook was edited by Samantha Trinkle, then a junior, who has come back to edit the 2013 book. Awards received for The Mirror, include:
• Zoe Grabow, Class of 2012, first place in Newspaper Editorial Writing
• Nolan Spinks, Class of 2012, first place in Communication (Newspaper) Graphics
• Chloe Hollen, Class of 2013, second place in Newspaper Civic Journalism
• Josselinne Torres, Class of 2013, third place in Newspaper Sports Writing
• Melody Hart, Class of 2012, third place in Newspaper Spot News Photo and Newspaper Photojournalism Portfolio
• Daryl Smith, Class of 2012, honorable mention in Newspaper News Writing
The school’s yearbook, Reflections, also took home two awards at the event for its 2012 publication. The 2012 Mirror Newspaper was edited by Zoe Grabow, now a freshman journalism and music student at DePauw University. The editor in chief of the 2013 Mirror Newspaper is Josselinne Torres. Awards for the yearbook include:
• Bethany Barber, Class of 2013, second place in Yearbook Feature Photo
• Samantha Trinkle, Class of 2013, third place in Yearbook Student Life Spread Design
Reitz’s journalism department has a history of receiving accolades for its publications. Reitz’s 2011 Reflections Yearbook was named a Hoosier Star finalist for three years in a row and Reitz’s newspaper continues to receive awards throughout the state.
Based at Franklin College, the IHSPA is one of the leading statewide press organizations for high school journalism programs.